Reparations and Racial Inequality
In the article "Reparations and Racial Inequality" written by Derrick Darby arguments were made about racial reparations and how they should be made. Darby argues that reparations should not be made from a causal view, meaning that the people that caused slavery do not have to pay reparations for their harms. In previous work I stated that it would be very difficult to make monetary reparations and I still agree with that. In Darby's writing he brought up other ways to make reparations.
Some of these reparations included building statues, museums, monuments, and showing support regarding the history of slavery. I agree, these things should be done and they would be a huge step forward for the American people. Darby also talked about correcting the "inequality gaps", these gaps are gaps in education, wealth, health, housing, and crime. I agree these things need to be fixed if they are there. It would be very difficult to fix problems like this if they are rooted within the entire United States system. I would not even know where to start with these problems. I do agree with Darby that reparations should be made on an overall group level and not on an individual level.
Hey Gavin! I like your Blog post. You are so right we need to fix the inequality gaps throughout America. Although equality is what we think we need it is actually equity. Equity is the idea that we would aid African Americans in things like education and health and things like that. If we just fought for equality that would just make the playing field level for everyone but if we fought for equity we would be providing the resources to get to the same level as let's say whites. Equality would be providing all the same resources to everyone. This would actually be an unfair advantage to people who are already in a higher social class or have a better education and don't necessarily need those resources. I also agree with you though in that we need to a place to educate people about the events of slavery, like a museum or monuments. There are tons of museums and monuments that commemorate other tragic history events like holocaust and 9/11 memorials and monuments. So, why don't we have one for slavery.
ReplyDeleteHello Gavin,
ReplyDeleteI shared many of your viewpoints towards what reparations should be made. I agree that we should focus on disadvantaged groups and work on promoting opportunities that would better allow them to be successful. I think that a starting point would be legislation that assures fair treatment for racial minorities in all aspects of life. Although we may be unable to provide proper repayment for slavery, the government should still be focusing on racial issues and ways to provide equal and fair opportunities for everyone.