Is Time Real?

 My previous perception of time is that it was made up to add a structure to our lives so we would have a basis to when we need to meet deadlines. I also believe that there is a past, present and future but I do not believe the future is really a thing because any slight movement could change it. Such as, if I decide to skip class one day instead of going I might fail the next test but if I went I would have passed. This is something I have control over so I believe it is very easy to change the future. 

In the article The Unreality of Time written by J. Ellis McTaggart there are many arguments against the idea of time. I personally do not see my own view of time in any of McTaggart's arguments. To me the "unreality of time" means that it is made up and that is it. I think to McTaggart the "unreality of time" means much more. I believe that McTaggart does not think time exists at all and that events are just always happening whether you are at that point or not. There was also one argument McTaggart made that was about memories and anticipating events. I somewhat agree with this because two people might remember the same exact event in two different ways. I also agree with anticipation because I do not think anything in the future is set in stone, I think we can anticipate many things that have a high probability of happening but nothing is guaranteed. Personally, I was not surprised by any of McTaggart's arguments because philosophers have a way of thinking that they could make a valid argument for nearly anything. 

Comments

  1. I get what you’re saying about the future. We have some control over certain events and that can affect the future, but I do feel like there are some things that we don’t have control over and will happen anyway as a result to events we don’t think about as having a huge impact. I agree with how you interpret McTaggerts idea of time I got a similar interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I really enjoyed your post. I agree time was made to help us complete tasks and meet deadlines and also agree McTaggart's "unreality of tine" is much more than you might think at first. I think of time as past, present and future and this is partly how I think of time, but it isn't just that. I like how you also included that future is not set ins stone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment