I Will Never Not Be Me

     When I think back to who I was when I was 10 years old I have a completely different image of myself than what I see of myself today. I was in my first year of middle school, I was not even 5 feet tall, and I had hair covering my ears. If you saw me back then and saw me today you would say something along the lines of "Wow, it's amazing how much you have changed you look like a totally different person" and I would agree with you. My physical appearance may have changed but, I am still the same person today as I was when I was 10. 

    In John Perry's article "A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality" there is no denying that the three participants in the conversation gave amazing arguments backing what they believe about surviving and identity. Gretchen Weirob proposes an argument that there is no proof that our physical bodies have only had one soul, for all we know a different soul could be circling through us all the time. This belief is very deep and quite puzzling but I completely disagree with it. Weirob also uses this argument to say since a soul might be able to transfer between different bodies that a soul cannot bridge your life on earth to your afterlife. I completely disagree with this ideology. 

    In my opinion your soul is who you are whether your body is the same, whether you are dead or alive, or even if your memory is completely erased. I believe that the soul you have now will be what carries on your survival in the afterlife. In the discussion the difference between identities is spoken about, such as bodily identity and personal identity. Sam Miller gives an argument basically saying that if you wake up and have a completely different body but still remember everything from your life before that you are still the same person. I somewhat disagree with this because first, it is impossible and second, I believe that your soul is what connects your memories, your thoughts, your experiences, and your physical self and if your physical self is completely different than you are no longer you. Of course in this situation you still have your memories, your thoughts, and your experiences but one of the four parts that your soul connects is missing. 

    I believe that I will always be me and you will always be you. You will always have your body, whether your need someone else's kidney or not, and your thoughts, experiences, and memories will always be connected to your body through your soul, whether you forget them or not. The consequences of my answer are that I will never be able to survive on earth in another persons body. I also am confident in my belief that my soul will carry out my survival in my afterlife. 

Comments